7 Blogging Mistakes Title Img

By Megan Miranda

These days, blogging is an important part of every business; this is especially true for those in the wedding industry.

Blogs allow you to engage followers and promote your work. Whether you are just getting started blogging for your wedding business or you are a seasoned pro, make sure you aren’t making these seven blogging mistakes!

1. Writing too broadly

Have you ever searched “How to write a good blog” or “When to tweet about your business”? You’ll find countless blogs and articles on the Web!

Instead of choosing a broad topic, narrow your subject matter and come up with a distinct title.

First, create a specific working title and try to stick to it. If you know about search engine optimization and keyword research, you’ll be better able to match your content to your title. The readers you really want to reach will be using certain keywords, so make sure your blog title and text include them.

2. Forgetting to edit

Everyone needs to edit their work, and I mean everyone! Even if you have a degree in English or Journalism, you’re not free from the requirement to reread and revise.

Review for typos and incoherent sentences, using a guide or checklist if you need it.

While you’re at it, look at your blog post in its entirety — not just as text alone. Did you include pictures and do they look good? Don’t forget to add captions and links, whenever appropriate.

3. Making your blog about yourself

I’ve hate to break it to you, but your readers may not care about you as much as you think they do. What they do care about are your experiences and what you can teach them.

Brides are looking for advice, tips and tricks, so provide them!

Follow the 80/20 rule of blogging: 80% of your posts should be tailored to your audience, while 20% of your posts can be focused on sales and marketing. This 20% includes news from your wedding business, new cosmetic products, flowers available, and any big events you have planned in the near future.

You can also give behind-the-scenes glimpses or interview real couples about their love stories.

Pro tip: newlyweds love to have their wedding highlights videos and photos featured!

4. Neglecting promotional tools

Just because you write a fantastic wedding blog doesn’t mean people will read it.

Try following the 80/20 rule again here: spend 80% of your time writing your blog posts and the remaining 20% of your time sharing them on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram.

Share your articles as soon as they’re edited so they’re fresh and timely. It’s okay to share older articles too, as long as they are still relevant.

Pro tip: write evergreen posts that aren’t focused on current events, so they remain relevant long after initial publication.

5. Not engaging your community

Did you disable commenting on your blog? While this is an easy way to avoid spam, it prevents your readers from asking questions and sharing stories right on your blog.

Allow comments and actually read them and respond — you’ll build relationships and even acquire new clients.

You can’t do it all by yourself. Reach out to others in your branch of the wedding industry, asking to interview them or exchange guest posts. You’ll make good connections and expand your audience.

6. Not posting enough

You may not be able to create fresh, engaging content every day and you probably don’t have time anyway.

That’s okay — Start by posting twice per week, and see how it works with your schedule.

The key is to remain as consistent as possible.

Be sure to keep a few blogs as “backups,” for those times you need a vacation or get overwhelmed. This way, you don’t have to force yourself to write when you’re not up for it. All you have to do is post your draft and share it on social media.

7. Forgetting it’s part of your job

Last, but definitely not least, you must remember that blogging is an integral part of your job.

Whether you are a wedding DJ, photographer, florist or makeup artist, posting to your blog should be a part of your weekly routine. This means you need to write quality content.

Link your blog to your website and allow readers to subscribe to your RSS feed. Include a call to action, which allows readers to contact you, sign up for updates, or receive a discount on services.

All these recommendations should bring you new contact information, more readers and most importantly, potential leads!

What blogging mistakes do you notice in the wedding industry?

Penny

 

Megan Miranda is a Portland, Oregon-based blogger, writer and business owner. When she’s not writing, you’ll find her baking bread and planning her own wedding.

Tags: , ,

Leave a Facebook Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *